Author Topic: Rear wheel hub  (Read 324 times)

Offlinenibiker

Rear wheel hub
    « on: 2017-12-04 22:27:10 »
    hi, I've noticed oil leaking from rear driveshaft hub on my 05 rt, has anyone replaced the oil seal?

OnlineDavid.

• Model/year: R 1200 RT / 2012 (Twincam)
      Re: Rear wheel hub
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-12-05 13:07:02 »
      Which FD unit seal is leaking, inside or outside.

Replacing the outside seal, https://wielpenders.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/bmw-2008-r1200gsa-final-drive-shaft-seal-replacement/

If it's the inside seal, this video for a GS (same as RT) covers it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9rF-fbqdiI
      « Last Edit: 2017-12-05 16:30:14 by David. »

Offlinenibiker

« Reply #2 on: 2017-12-05 18:50:56 »
        David thanks for the step by step pictures that's a great help, il replace all seals around hub while it's off. Thanks Trevor.

OfflineOur Gee

« Reply #3 on: 2017-12-07 08:58:06 »
          Very interesting pictures and video. The offside (picture sequence) looks to be very straight forward and the nearside (video) a lot more involved requiring a puller and heat gun. I,m not so sure about the guy's care and attention though. leaving the rear caliper to rest on the final drive casing and that bit where he wire brushes the seal aperture giving the big bearing a good seeing too in the process. Wire brushes can have a habit of leaving behind bits of wire !!.
          Good clear video though.
          Seeing the view of the big Ball Bearing does tempt me to ask a question I have asked before and never really had an answer. Does the Ball Bearing run in the final drive oil or is it remote from the oil bath ?.
          Thanks.
          « Last Edit: 2017-12-07 09:19:11 by Our Gee »

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #4 on: 2017-12-07 11:20:01 »
            Looking at the photos within this thread, http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/final-drive-bearing-replacement-07-r1200gsa.682413/ suggests that the big Ball Bearing on a 2007 GS (same as RT) does not run in the FD Unit oil.
            « Last Edit: 2017-12-07 14:01:54 by David. »

Offlinearkmark

« Reply #5 on: 2017-12-07 12:48:37 »
              My inner seal is beginning to leak just a little also.  Have you replaced your seals yet? did you run into any problems while doing it?

OnlineBoxflyer

• Model/year: 2016 R1200RT
                « Reply #6 on: 2017-12-07 13:29:46 »
                If your oil leak is from the input shaft pinion seal, I don't have any experience changing that...but if it's from either of the seals on the crown gear shaft, I've worked on those.
                The major improvement in FD production started in 2010 (up to present production) when the crown gear bearing was moved to within the gear housing to ride in the gear oil.  The Hex-Head (05-09) FD had the crown gear bearing outside the oil bath housing and was more prone to failure from contamination.
                Here's my post about unnecessary FD lube change interval on Hex-Head units because of where the crown bearing "lives".
                http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/168617-final-drive-service-specifics-05-09-rt.html#post1747161

I panicked when I had my FD large bearing failure a week before an Alaska ride back in 2014 on my 08RT...I bought 2 complete FD units to insure I had one good one to swap out for my ride.  The one that I installed that worked perfectly was from a 2010 RT that I removed when I got home and did the rebuild of the original 2008 FD.  The second is a complete swing arm/drive shaft/FD/brake rotor/caliper/shock from a new 2013 GS that had smoke damage (no heat damage) from a salvage claim after a dealer's garage burned.

For my ride back down from Alaska to the lower 48, I lead a group of 10 other BMW riders, most of whom rented bikes in Anchorage to turn in down in Portland, OR.  One rider on an 09GS had ridden his bike up from New York already and while in Anchorage had the BMW shop replace his small bearing seal (RH outer under the little black plastic ring).  2 days into our ride, this bike with the freshly installed seal, and one of the rental bikes, started leaking oil from the small side seal.  I used the same improvised "tool" I had used earlier in my ride to stop an oil leak from one of my fork leg seals...a hotel door knob hanging sign for "do not disturb or clean my room" that I cut a rounded J hook on one corner.  This thickness flexible plastic mimics this item from Amazon.  [size=78%]https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Seal-Mate-Fork-Cleaner/dp/B0039LDF4A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512647746&sr=1-1&keywords=fork+seal+cleaner[/size]
                Anyway, I popped off the little black plastic ring on the FD, gently slid the "J hook" between the axle shaft and the oil seal...ran it around about a quarter of the shaft at a time, kept hooking out any debris from between the seal and the shaft until it would come out clean...replaced the plastic ring and no more oil leaks from either FD.

Rebuilding my 08RT FD was not too difficult, but requires special tools as referenced by David above in the ADVRider link.  This is not for the faint of heart, it requires these special fixtures, large tools, special heating, cooling procedures and the replacement bearings and seals run a couple hundred dollars.

If I had it to do over again, I would NOT go to all the effort and trouble to rebuild a Hex-Head FD.  It will still have the inherent weakness of the way the crown bearing is sealed from contamination and another failure...I'd simply find a newer design FD (2010-2013) for complete swap out.  All the bolt up points are the same for a direct fit.  It will also have the forged steel brake rotor flange vs the machined aluminum one that is a recall item anyway.

Sorry for the long post, I guess it was more than my 2 cents worth!

OnlineDavid.

« Reply #7 on: 2017-12-07 14:00:27 »
                  Thanks for clarifying on which RT model years the big bearing runs in the FD unit oil & which don't.

"On RT final drives on the hex heads (05-09) the FD "big bearing" is placed in the housing on the flange side of the bevel gears and is not running in the 75W90 gear oil."

"Starting in 2010 up to present (2017) on the RT, the "big bearing" is on the inside of the housing WITH the bevel gears and running in the 75W90 gear oil."

This is encouraging for the later Twincam RT's with respect to both the FD unit bearings & any potential Warranty claim.
                  The Warranty Handbook says,
                  "Final drive
                  All internally lubricated components, including the following:
                  Failure of the following parts: crown wheel, pinion and bearings. Pinion shaft oil seal and crown wheel cover seal, rear wheel carrier."

« Last Edit: 2017-12-07 14:13:14 by David. »

OfflineOur Gee

« Reply #8 on: 2017-12-08 04:33:26 »
                    Thanks for clarifying on which RT model years the big bearing runs in the FD unit oil & which don't.

I,ll second that, mystery solved. Thanks from me also.

anything